At Team Dee’s in Las Vegas, NV, we can help you build a nutrition and exercise plan with plenty of protein to help you lose weight and achieve your fitness goals. With so many diet plans emphasizing protein, you may wonder what the big deal is. We’re here to answer your questions and teach you how to support your goals with this amazing fitness nutrient.
Role Of Protein In Weight Loss
Many of the struggles we face when trying to lose weight can be improved or eliminated with the addition of the right foods. Here are four great reasons to add enough protein to your weight loss plan.
- Helps Strengthen & Maintain Muscles – Low-calorie diets tend to put the body in “starvation mode.” If you aren’t careful, you could wind up looking “skinny-fat” and have a slower metabolism than you did before your diet. If you’re hoping for a lean, toned figure, you should supplement your weight loss plan with ample protein and strength training to burn fat, not muscle.
- Burns Calories During Digestion – Protein has a high thermic effect, which means that it requires significantly more energy to digest and metabolize than carbohydrates and fat. About 20-30% of protein’s calories are burned in the digestion process alone.
- Boosts Metabolism – A high protein diet may increase the rate at which your body burns calories, helping you achieve your weight loss goals faster.
- Reduces Hunger – Protein lowers your body’s production of the hunger-inducing hormone ghrelin and increases the production of appetite-reducing hormones. If you want to stay full longer and curb those late-night junk food cravings, consider consuming more protein at dinnertime.
Healthy Sources Of Protein
Do you need to eat meat to get enough protein? What if you don’t like fish or have time to cook? Luckily, a boosted weight-loss plan is easy to achieve. There are so many readily available sources of protein that you are sure to find a variety that fits your tastes and lifestyle.
- Seafood – Fish and shrimp are excellent sources of protein if you’re looking to lose weight while still getting plenty of vital micronutrients. Fatty fish, such as salmon and mackerel, are high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which can lower your risk of heart disease and boost brain health. Tuna is also very low fat and nutritious, but make sure you opt for the kind canned in water, not oil.
- Poultry – Chicken and turkey are both great sources of lean protein. Consider having some flavorful herb-roasted chicken or a turkey burger for delicious low-fat dinner.
- Dairy – Lowfat cottage cheese and unsweetened Greek yogurt are especially healthy and delicious protein options. Serve them alongside chopped fruit for a nutritious breakfast or dessert.
- Eggs – Eggs are one of the most nutritious and versatile foods on the planet. They contain all of the nine essential amino acids that the human body can’t produce on its own, making them an excellent source of complete proteins for vegetarians.
- Beans & Legumes – Black beans, kidney beans, lentils, and chickpeas are all great sources of protein if you’re looking to add some bulk to a plant-based diet.
- Tofu – Tofu is a great ingredient for soups and stir-frys, and you can scramble it for a delicious vegan egg alternative. A 100-gram serving packs a whopping 8 grams of protein and only around 80 calories.
- Quinoa – Quinoa has been heralded as a superfood. This wholesome grain contains all nine essential amino acids, and one cup contains a whopping 8 grams of plant-based protein. It’s also rich in fiber, folate, iron, and antioxidants, making it a nutritious and satisfying weight-loss food.
- Broccoli & Brussels Sprouts – Brussels sprouts and broccoli contain more protein than most vegetables and are also excellent sources of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, potassium, and fiber. One cup of broccoli contains about 2.5 grams of protein, and a cup of Brussels sprouts boasts around 3 grams.
- Protein Powder & Bars – If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal replacement, consider supplementing your meal plan with protein bars and protein powder. Throw some ice, fruit, and whey powder (or pea protein powder if you’re vegan) into a blender for a deliciously sweet smoothie.
Dee’s Protein Squares are a yummy grab-and-go treat. Our scrumptious protein squares include decadent dessert flavors like Coconut Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Double Delight, Banana Peanut Butter, and Tropical Fruit Delight.
Diet Counseling At Team Dee’s
Diet and exercise are both critical components to any successful weight loss plan. As a Las Vegas personal trainer with experience in nutrition counseling, Dee Bloom can help you meet your weight loss goals faster by providing individualized guidance that’s best suited to your lifestyle and body’s unique needs.
Call today to find out more about personal training and nutrition for optimal weight loss in Las Vegas.